The attention of the Coalition of Civil Societies and Media Executives for Good Governance in Nigeria (COCMEGG) has been drawn to the malicious and spurious text messages circulated in the social media by fifth columnists and agent provocateurs against the proactive leadership of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
As champions and propagators of transparency, good governance and accountability in Nigeria over the years, these malicious, spurious messages and smear campaigns are intended to cast aspersions on the hard earned reputation of the NSCDC. It is on record that the present management of the defence corps has repositioned and rebranded the entire security apparatus for effective service delivery and productivity.
We are therefore constrained to issue the following statement in order to put the records straight and let the general public be aware of the nefarious activities of these mischief makers who are hell bent on disparaging and denigrating the good works presently going on at the NSCDC.
1. The deliberate blackmail orchestrated by these mischief makers is unfortunate and mischievously carried out against the management of NSCDC. The said text messages emanating from these individuals are not only spurious and wicked but fabricated fallacy orchestrated in order to change the proactive venture of the NSCDC and portray it in bad light by undermining its constitutional responsibilities. The NSCDC will continue to work assiduously and in harmony with other sister agencies to nip in the bud the security challenges in the country.
2. That the orchestrated smear campaign of calumny and text messages in the social media against the hard earned reputation of the NSCDC in a section of the media by traducers and fifth columnists should be discountenanced and disregarded by well meaning Nigerians. The intention of the sponsors of such messages is to drag the name of the organization into odium and public ridicule so as to settle cheap political scores.
3. The recruitment process into the NSCDC is strictly supervised by the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB) under the Ministry of Interior. There has been no time in the history of the organization that the defence corps will on its own employ officers into its fold including promotions of officers and discipline, without the approval of the President and the supervisory Ministry of Interior. These are normally done in collaboration with all other activities within the organization and are strictly based on merit as a para-military organ. However, it should be emphasized that as regard promotions, the Chief Corps Assistant (CCA) is the glass ceiling for Secondary School Certification and Chief Inspector for those with Higher National Diploma (HND) and no ceiling whatsoever for degree holders in the rule book of the organization. It should be noted that the process of moving from one rank to another is also strictly from the board and not the service.
4. COCMEGG therefore condemns in strong terms the malicious messages deliberately planned to smear the reputation and sterling character of the management of NSCDC and hereby calls on NSCDC leadership not to tolerate any indiscipline in whatever form from any officer in whatever guise and as well commend the esprit-de-corps and high morale among the officers and men of the NSCDC for the reduction of vandalism and activities of criminal elements across the country and most importantly for the protection of critical national assets.
5. COCMEGG hereby urges Nigerians to disregard the innuendos by fifth columnists and salute the NSCDC’s gallantry, patriotism and the new sense of direction of the defence corps and passes a vote of confidence on the hierarchy of the NSCDC. The civil society organization also endorses the anti-corruption stance of the Commandant-General of the NSCDC, and in conclusion, we urge the authorities of the NSCDC to remain focused and undeterred in their on-going efforts to reposition and provide best management practices in the organization.
Omoba Kenneth Aigbegbele Com Eze Johnson
President,COCMEGG Publicity Secretary