By Raphael Ekpang

The senate committee on Water resources led by senator Bello Mandiya on Tuesday during a budget defence at the national assembly lambasted the managing directors of Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority and that of the Osun River Basin Development Authority over their inability to account for the 2019 internally generated revenue of the agencies.

Senator Mandiya led committee became furious when the Managing Director, of Lower Benue River Development Authority, Engr. Mahmoud O. Adra told the committee that based on the circular he received he made used of the IGR, though he was on able to provide document to back up his claims.

The committee however warned him never to appear before it in subsequent budget defences without proper accountability, stressing that the entire nation is looking onto them for a proper and effective budget passage of the 2020 appropriation act.

Also the MD of Osun River Basin Development Authority, Olufemi Odumosu told the committee that they realized a total of N47.2million from IGR and 25% of the total sum has been remitted to the federal government while the remaining 75% retained by the agency.

The committee vice chairman, Senator Christopher Ekpeyong sought to know if the 75% retain by the agency is still with them or has been put to used?

MD Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority Engr. Mahmoud O. Adra in a hot seat at the national assembly

However, the committee chairman though, commended the MD of Osun River Basin Development Authority for generating a huge amount for the IGR but was not satisfied with the level of accountability by the agencies.

Meanwhile, members of the committee tasked the agencies across board to step up with the completion of the various ongoing projects across the country, stating that is the only way their constituents will benefit from their representation.

Senator Mandiya who is representing Katsina South senatorial district at the senate noted that the 9th assembly is doing everything possible to pass the budget before the end of the year to enable the MDGs implement the budget in full next year..

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *